Check out this PSA from the Thai Health Promotion Foundation. Don’t worry, the subtitles will help it make sense in English. Be sure to watch all the way to the end. You’ll learn how this video went viral, lit up social media around the world, and caused a 40% increase in contacts to the agency that sponsored the ad.
What amazing results!
Can you imagine what would have happened if the Health Promotion Foundation had taken the typical safe approach? What if they had thrown up the typical roadblocks? What if they had said…
- “How can we show children holding cigarettes? It will send the wrong message.”
- “Wait! Nobody mentioned our mission statement!”
- “You didn’t quote our president, executive director, or CEO.”
- “That doesn’t sound like what our competitors do. We can’t do that!”
- “Thanks for the idea but it’s too expensive to hire a crew to film this. We’ll just shoot it with our iPhones.”
Luckily, if the Thai Health Promotion Foundation did say those things, some persuasive person talked them into trying something new. So the message is noticeable, differentiating, to the point, and you can hear and see what is happening.
They may have spent a little more money to put this ad together, but because they were brave, they got RESULTS.
Christina Steder is the President of Clear Verve Marketing and works with clients to plan, create and execute marketing campaigns.